Automated storage and retrieval systems (ASRS) and carousels are designed to maximize effective use of space in manufacturing and distribution facilities with a high storage density, moving large volumes of parts and products in and out.
These systems’ economical use of space can be further maximized by choosing appropriately sized and designed plastic containers, totes and bins that fit the storage and retrieval system well and are the right size for the stored parts and products. This enables facilities to reduce wasted space and to increase effective storage capacity.
Plastic storage bins made by Flexcon Container, for instance, helped a manufacturer increase storage capacity in its automated storage and retrieval units by more than 19 percent, according to an article in Modern Materials Handling.
Flexcon corrugated plastic bins, totes and containers are designed to optimize use of available cube in carousel systems, reducing wasted space, common with other options, by 15 to 20 percent.
But size and fit aren’t the only important considerations when choosing containers for ASRS systems and carousels. Strength, deflection and impact resistance also are key attributes to consider. And for these and other reasons, corrugated plastic containers are excellent candidates for ASRS systems and carousels, both vertical and horizontal.
Why are corrugated plastic containers the right choice for ASRS systems and carousels?
Their benefits include:
- While maximizing space usage, they minimize damage to materials and products during storage and handling as they are more durable and impact resistant than molded plastic containers. They stand up well under constant handling by robotic ASRS equipment. And unlike molded plastic, which can crack on strong impact, corrugated plastic containers resist tears and punctures.
- They reduce costs as they last longer due to their durability.
- For custom sized and designed containers required for specialized applications, corrugated plastic containers offer the advantage of requiring less development time than molded plastic containers–since they don’t require creation of a mold. Likewise, corrugated plastic containers require less production time than molded plastic containers. Production time for molded plastic can be nearly five times longer.
- They’re lightweight, contributing to efficiency of ASRS systems. They help maximize pick rates.
In addition, corrugated plastic containers made by Flexcon Container feature:
- Pitched drain holes to prevent collapse of a storage and retrieval system in the event a sprinkler is set off.
- Ergonomic design for more efficient operation of carousel systems.
- Design that prevents parts migration.
- Capability of being partitioned to meet changing parts storage needs.
To learn more about the benefits of corrugated plastic containers, call Flexcon today at 908-871-7000. Our container experts are ready to help you choose the best solutions for ASRS and carousel systems.