Automation improves material handling efficiency. No question about it.
But even the most sophisticated automated storage retrieval system, carousel, conveyor system or mini-load system will fall short of your expectations without totes, bins, trays and other containers that are designed for smooth, efficient handling.
Following are features and benefits of reusable plastic containers that are designed and made for optimal performance in automated material handling systems:
- Heavy-duty plastic construction. This is what it takes to stand up to constant, predictable, uninterrupted performance in a wide range of automated systems. They’re engineered to meet deflection criteria for your applications. And because they’re plastic, they resist damage from water, rust and corrosion.
- Reusable. Because they’re durable, plastic automated storage and retrieval system (ASRS) totes can be reused countless times, preventing waste and promoting responsible use of resources, including your operational dollars. Plastic containers for automated material handling systems take the place of one-time use containers, which are subject to crushing (and product damage) in automated systems.
- Protective. Their strong construction protects the parts and products you move through your automated systems.
- Stackable and nestable. These totes, trays and bins are designed to economize on space, vertically and horizontally. And they maximize on cube, to increase your material handling efficiency, so you can move the most product or components possible per unit of space.
- Available with adjustable dividers. This maximizes these containers’ versatility, effective space utilization and organization for efficient picking and packing operations.
- Versatile. They’re made to work with most automated inserter/extractor and conveyor systems.
- Made with smooth sides. This promotes smooth, seamless movement of containers through automated storage and retrieval systems.
- Available with recessed label section. This prevents labels from being damaged or removed in the course of daily use.
- ESD designed totes. These reusable plastic containers are specially designed to dissipate electrostatic charges, preventing damage to sensitive electronic devices and components.
- Textured bottoms. This design feature prevents slippage and improves a container’s performance on conveyors.
Flexcon makes heavy-duty plastic ASRS totes that work in most inserter/extractor and conveyor systems, with capacities of 25 to 180 pounds and sizes up to 48 × 30. Our standard ASRS containers are available in more than 20 sizes. And Flexcon can work with you to design custom sized ASRS bins and totes for your specific automated material handling applications.
To learn more about our standard ASRS containers or to develop a custom solution for your needs, contact a Flexcon sales representative today.
Bulk boxes are an economical option for handling large quantities of products and parts. These containers typically range in capacity from 1,000 to 3,000 pounds. They perform exceptionally well in a wide range of applications and industries.
Bulk containers provide excellent protection of products and parts in picking, assembly, processing, storage and distribution processes — throughout the manufacturing chain. You’ll find them in wide use in automotive, machining, electronics, pharmaceutical, appliance, aerospace, textiles and apparel, and the food industry, including beverages, produce, grocery distribution, poultry, bakery and snack foods.
These containers’ effectiveness and economy result from their numerous features and benefits. Here’s nine of the many benefits:
- Constructed of tough, durable high-density polyethylene (HDPE). Their construction enables plastic bulk containers to withstand harsh conditions and handling. This toughness also provides exceptional protection of parts and products within your facility and in transit.
- Last 30 to 50 times longer than single-use containers. This is a product of the containers’ superior construction and saves you money in the long run.
- Made to be recycled. These long-lasting containers can be recycled and returned to productive use, In fact, some bulk containers are made with recycled HDPE. This keeps them out of landfills when they reach the end of their lifecycle and enables your company to be a better steward of resources.
- Designed to be stacked. Bulk boxes can be stacked up to six high, compared to one or two high for other types of high-capacity containers. This means they can help you make the most efficient use of space in your warehouse or in over-the-road trucks.
- Designed to be folded. When not in use, bulk containers can be folded and stacked for efficient space utilization.
- Can be customized with a wide range of available options. You can choose from many options to customize bulk containers to your specific applications, parts and products. Options include drop doors for easy part or product access, RFID tags and other identification systems to optimize material handling, standard and custom dunnage to protect cargo, built-in dollies to ease movement of bulk containers in a work area, removable walls for greater flexibility in your material handling system, solid or vented decks, covers and more.
- Made in more than 40 sizes, from 32″ x 30″ to 78″ x 40″ footprints and a range of heights. With this wide selection of sizes you can find a container for virtually every application. Extended sizes are available to accommodate longer parts and products.
- Made for easy forklift handling. Depending on your material handling needs, you can choose bulk boxes with bases designed for two- or four-way forklift entry.
- Easy to clean. The smooth surfaces of plastic bulk containers are a breeze to clean. That’s less time you have to spend on maintenance between container uses.
Contact a Flexcon sales representative today to find the right bulk containers for your applications.